Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Grantham Town FC


Gingerbreads On Fire

10 months ago By Simon Hayes

After evacuating The Meres pre-match due to the fire alarm going off, The Gingerbreads set The Meres alight with a SEVEN - 1 win over Rushall Olympic.

The Gingerbreads started the night without Stefan Galinski, Rhys Lewis took up position in central defence.

The first goal of the night came on 15 minutes. Kieran Preston played a pin point long ball to Jordan Hempenstall who was able to control and curl the ball passed the Rushall goal keeper.

5 minutes later The Gingerbreads doubled their lead. Andrew Wright jungle the ball through the Rushall defence and was fouled in the box. He stepped up to take the penalty and fired it home.

Rushall pulled one back on 23 minutes when Kaitlyn Gould found himself out wide and put the ball beyond Kieran Preston.

At this point could've gone either way, luckily for The Gingerbreads it went the right way.

On 33 minutes, Lee Shaw turned a Rushall player on the right wing but was fouled. Ollie Luto stepped up to take the free kick and whipped it towards near the post. It found a Rushall players head and it went in.

With 6 minutes left of the half, it was 4-1 to The Gingerbreads. Jordan Hempenstall turned on the edge his shot hit Andrew Wright and it went in.

The Gingerbreads were not done for the half. A corner found Danny Meadows at the back post, his header found Rhys Lewis, who played in Michael Hollingsworth who side footed the ball home from 18 yards.

At half time it was 5-1 and the talk in the stands was, what was the stadium record win?

The Gingerbreads started the second half as they finished the first. Andrew Wright got his hat trick on 49 minutes. He mazed his way through the Rushall defence, but when it looked like the chance had gone he managed to turn the ball into the net beating the keeper at his near post.

Adam Stevens then rang the changes. Curtis Burrows, Tom Curtis and Jack McMenemy came on for Luke Shaw, Andrew Wright and Lee Shaw.

The final goal of the night came on 71 minutes. The Gingerbreads won a free kick on the right hand side of the box and Ollie Luto again stepped up to take it. This time the ball fired over to the far post and didn't take a touch to give him his goal of the match.

The Gingerbreads played out the rest of the match looking for an eighth goal of the night but it just wouldn't come.

As for the Stadium record question asked by all at half time. Those that were there tonight, can say they witnessed it.

Updated 22:31 - 3 Oct 2017 by Simon Hayes

Where next?

Gingerbreads Return For Midweek Action Grantham will be looking to move on from the disappointment of Saturday when they host Rushall Olympic FC at the Meres on Tuesday night.
Bastock Joins The Gingerbreads Last night Ian Culverhouse added to his back room staff.

Sat 18 Aug
First Team Bamber Bridge
League 15:00
Tue 21 Aug
First Team Stafford Rangers
League 19:45
Sat 25 Aug
League 15:00

Team sponsors


Club sponsors