Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Grantham Town FC app


Gingerbreads Go Down at Shields

By Simon Hayes

A second half avalanche of goals left Grantham shell-shocked

and well beaten by a South Shields side that had too much quality for Grantham all afternoon.

The Gingerbreads never seriously threatened the home goal, Liam Connell between the sticks not having a shot on target to deal with all afternoon.

"We lost to a very good side this afternoon." Said Gingerbreads Manager Ian Culverhouse. They were well organised and played to a pattern. We conceded three goals from dead balls or restarts and you're never going to win games when you do that."

South Shields looked dangerous from the off, using the space Grantham gave up to deliver dangerous crosses. They took the lead after 13 minutes. Robert Briggs was given time to settle on the ball 25 yards out and picked his spot before deriving a shot past Theo Richardson into the top corner of the net.

The Gingerbreads looked as though they might get back into the game from corners but both Tom Ward and Tom Siddons headers went wide. In between, South Shields continued to exploit the space full back Blair Adams was given. Affer 27 minutes, he cut inside before curving a shot inches past Richardson's left hand post.

Adams continued to torment Grantham. Three minutes before the break, his hard work led to Lee Mason recovering the loose ball, but firing wide of the mark.

Two minutes after the break, the home side took the game by the scruff of the neck with a second goal. A deep cross from the Gingerbreads left went through to the far post. David Foley had time to control the ball before firing past Richardson.

The Gingerbreads keeper kept them in the game a bit longer with a good save from a snap shot from Ursene Mouande on 55 minutes. Richardson was picking the ball out of his net again after 59 minutes. A corner from the Gingerbreads right came through to Gary Brown at the far post who made it 3-0 to the home side.

Grantham tried to get close to their opponents, but were kept at arms length by a South Shields side who were determined not to take their foot off the gas. Two late goals put the gloss on a good performance from the home side.

With 8 minutes to go, South Shields were more determined to win the ball. Quick work got the ball to Carl Finnigan who finished clinically into the bottom corner of the net. With five minutes left, South Shields made it five. Craig Baxter stood a cross up to the back post where Ben Harmison rose highest to head home and finish the scoring for the afternoon.

Updated 16:34 - 7 Oct 2018 by Simon Hayes

Where next?

Gingerbreads head north to do battle with Shields Grantham will be hoping to get back to winning ways this weekend on Tyneside, where they go up against South Shields FC.
Gingerbreads Look to End the Season on a High Grantham play their final game of the season on Saturday as they make the trip to relegation-threatened Stalybridge Celtic.

Sat 13 Jul
First Team Harrowby United
Cup 15:00

Team sponsors


Club sponsors