Gingerbreads Fail at Hyde

Gingerbreads Fail at Hyde

By Simon Hayes
2nd December 2018
Share via

Grantham's afternoon started badly and never recovered.

Hyde United recorded a comfortable win over a Gingerbreads team who didn't register a shot on target all afternoon.

"You can't keep giving sides early leads" Said Gingerbreads Manager Richard Thomas. "We've got to start valuing clean sheets. We need to go back to basics and work hard, which we did to some extent. It's not good enough to not work the goalkeeper. We didn't find out whether he's a good keeper or not, that's not acceptable."

The Gingerbreads were chasing the game from the second minute. Hyde broke forward quickly and a trip inside the penalty area by Ollie Luto gave the home side an early spot kick. Tom Pratt fired his spot kick straight down the middle to give the home side an early lead.

The rest of the first half saw Grantham have most of the possession, but couldn't break through the Hyde defence. The home side took the Gingerbreads pressure comfortably and threatened on the break.

Pratt continued to be a thorn in the Gingerbreads side. After a quarter of an hour, he linked up with Luke Porritt but saw his shot come back off the post. Three minutes later he went close again. A weak punch from Jordan Wright fell to Pratt but Wright recovered to tip his effort over the crossbar.

After 22 minutes, Pratt went close again. He ended his good run with a curling shot that went just wide. On the half hour mark, Hyde grabbed a second goal. Nicky Platt played a good pass through for Pratt who had time to take a couple of touches before firing a low shot past Wright into the bottom corner.

Wright was called into action again late in the first half. Wright saved well from Platt when the striker got on the end of a low cross from Olodapo Olarewaju. The Gingerbreads goalkeeper saved well again from Pratt when the Hyde danger man got on the end of a dangerous cross from Connor Simpson.

The home side created a couple of early chances after the break as Grantham were second to most things. Jerome Wright and Simpson both had chances, but neither could hit the target.

Hyde continued to keep Grantham at arm’s length, while creating half chances themselves. Platt wasted the best chances for the home side, his poor control, and then wasteful shooting prevented the home side killing the game off.

Grantham's substitutions almost turned the game. Malcolm Podier ran at the Hyde defence with 18 minutes to go. His cross was only just nicked off Danny Durkin's toe by Grant Roberts. With 10 minutes remaining, Tiago Nassuncolu and Durkin combined to set up Podier. He turned well, but his effort was blocked by the home defence.

Hyde wrapped up the game two minutes from the end. The home side worked the ball into the Grantham penalty area and Chib Chilaka swiveled and fired a low shot past Jordan Wright.

Share via