Sat 07
Nantwich Town
First Team
C Westcarr (38')
Gingerbreads Cup Journey Over

Gingerbreads Cup Journey Over

By Simon Hayes
Share via

The Gingerbreads cup run came to an end with a whimper as Nantwich Town

opened up a second half lead they never looked like relinquishing. After battling back in the first half to level before half-time, Grantham didn't show the same commitment to get back into the game after the break.

"We were not strong enough both as individuals and collectively." Said joint manager Paul Rawden. "After the first half hour we got to grips with the game, but after the second goal, we just fell away. It wasn't good enough."

Nantwich had the first chance when they spread the play wide and a low cross was met by Joe Malkin. Tom Nicholson did well to stick out a foot to deny Malkin.

The Gingerbreads made a series of half chances, but didn't stretch Greg Hall in the Nantwich goal. Ryan Hall curled a good effort goalward, but Greg Hall was well positioned to gather low at his post.

On 21 minutes, the home side opened the scoring. A sweeping passing move opened up the Gingerbreads defence down the right hand side. Luke Walsh and Joe Mwasile combined to set up a low cross for Sean Cooke. Cooke swept his shot past Nicholson.

Nantwich played some neat football without creating chances as Grantham worked their way back into the game. Rodrigo Goncales hit a volley at Greg Hall and curled an effort onto the crossbar before Grantham equalised. Danny Racchi delivered a cross to Ryan Hall. Hall's touch put the ball in front of Craig Westcarr who took one touch before hitting the back of the net.

Malkin beat Gregg Smith early in the second half, but Nicholson turned his effort round the post. Walsh lifted a shot over the bar before Nantwich made a change that turned the game almost had an immediate impact. He got on the end of a low cross from Matty Devine and turned to fire a shot off. Nicholson was again well positioned to save the effort.

On 62 minutes, Schousboue was involved in the second goal for Nantwich. The home side had buzzed around the Grantham penalty area and Schousboue had a shot blocked. The ball fell for Ben Harrison who fired past Nicholson.

Two comfortable saves from Greg Hall were all that Grantham could muster before the home side killed the game off on 73 minutes. James Lawrie found Cooke who played a delightful pass for Schousboue. The substitute had lost his marker and had time to pick his spot and rattle in a third goal for the home side.

Nantwich could have made it embarrassing for Grantham as Nicholson again had to save from Schousboue five minutes later making a great stop. Cooke even had the luxury of blasting a penalty over the crossbar with three minutes to go as Nantwich finished the game on the front foot.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 07, Sep 2019






The Emirates FA Cup 19-20