Town Return With a Point

Town Return With a Point

By Simon Hayes
7th April
Share via

Goals at either end of the game defined the match as Grantham added another point to their tally

and pull a bit further away from the bottom two. Paul Rawden felt his side deserved more.

"Before they scored we were well on top." Rawden said. "We had chances to wrap things up, but we'd have taken a point as it is a tough place to get anything."

The afternoon got off to a great start for the Gingerbreads. There were only three minutes on the clock when Jack McGovern slid a pass wide for Jordan Adebayo-Smith. The striker rode a challenge and slipped his shot through Jack Sims to give Grantham the lead.

The Gingerbreads were on top of the game for the first quarter of an hour. Chris Dawson twice had chances as he troubled the home defence. He set up Adebayo-Smith, who shot at Sims then the Gingerbreads midfielder took the ball across the front of the Lancaster defence, but had his shot blocked.

The home side came more into the game the further it progressed. Lancaster forced seven corners in the first half and with a good delivery looked dangerous. Sam Andrew and Tom Ward both had to work hard to keep the ball out of the Gingerbreads net as Paul Dawson and Brad Carsley were denied.

Matty Blinkhorn headed a deep cross just wide ten minutes before the break and then set up Rob Wilson as time ran down on the half. Wilson couldn't find the target.

Lancaster threatened first after the break. Carsley turned inside the Grantham defence, but fired over the crossbar. Grantham clawed their way back into the game and had a great chance from a corner of their own after an hour. The delivery flashed across the Lancaster six yard box, but no-one could get the touch it needed.

Blinkhorn set up a good chance for strike partner Carsley with twenty minutes left. Blinkhorn's deep cross was headed back across goal by Carsley, but the Gingerbreads skipper Tom Ward was well placed to head clear.

Chris Dawson created another chance for Grantham with eleven minutes left. He turned away from a challenge in midfield and took the ball into the Lancaster penalty area. As Dawson was closed down, he squared for Adebayo-Smith, but the striker lifted his shot over the bar.

Three minutes from the end of the 90 minutes, Lancaster equalised. Two substitutes combined. Luke Jordan ran beyond the Grantham defence and played a perfect cut back for Charlie Bailey. Bailey volleyed home giving Andrew no chance.

There was still time for both sides to create chances to take all three points. Akeel Francis and McGovern both had shots blocked as Grantham forced three late corners. Carsley almost added his second in the last minute, but his header came back off the bar and both sides settled for a point.

Report by Graham Cowell

Share via